1. Players & Replacements:
- Each rugby team will consist of 18 players.
- 10 players
- 8 Substitutes
- 1 Coach
- 1 Team Manager
1.2 All players can be substituted during the match.
2. Match Length:
- All games will be 7 minutes a half (2 halves)
- 2-minute half time
- 5 minutes between games
- Run on – 21-minute slots
3. Points / Scoring:
3.1 Round Robin / pool games scoring.
- 4 points for win
- 2 points for a draw
If two or more teams are on level points, the position standing is determined by:
- The team who won the head-to-head match, if that was a draw, then:
- The team with the best ‘for / against point difference is the winner. If that is equal, then:
- The team scoring the most ‘points for’ is the winner. If that is equal:
- A coin toss will be done to determine the winner.
In the event of a tie in the final, sudden death extra time (5 minutes each way) is played and the team scoring first is deemed the winner.
4. Rules for the games:
Standard Rugby rules will apply for:
- Line outs
- All scrums except for the vets, are by default contested scrums unless:
- The teams in coordination with the referee agree in advance that the scrums for that match should not be contested
- If a team in unable to field a suitable front row and request uncontested scrums, such a team will forfeit a player for the whole / remainder of the match
- For any safety reason the referee deems that scrums should not be contested.
- Only the scrumhalf may pick up the ball at the back of the scrum
- Locks must bind between the hooker and the props as in a 15 min game.
- Kicking is only allowed in your own 22 m or when a drop kick is made
- The younger teams will follow in the spirit of the laws of 7’s
- All kicks at goal are drop kicks
- All kick-off infringements result in a free kick.
- Substitutes are allowed at any time during the match and as needed
5. Age restrictions:
- Primary schools under 13
All players need to be under 13 on the event day to play in this division
- High Schools Under 18
All players need to be under 18 on the event day to play in this division
- No u/18 can participate in any of the other divisions
- You need to be 18+ on the event day to play in all the other divisions.
- In the veteran’s league, all players need to be at least 35 years and above, no exceptions.
- If teams are found to have u/18 players or u/35 players in their team, the following actions will take place:
- The player in question will be asked for proof of age (ID or driver’s license)
- If age is proven, games will continue as per fixtures
- If no valid ID document or drivers license is shown, the following steps will apply:
- The team captain and captain of the informing team will be brought together for discussions with the Tournament Director.
- The team at fault may forfeit their points for the current match and will no longer be allowed to take to the field for the remaining matches.
- An under-aged player must leave the team, and will no longer be allowed to take to the field for any of the remaining matches.
6. Rugby Discipline:
- Event organisers of the George TENS and referees have the right to intervene if there is disrespectful, unruly or unsafe behaviour or play.
- If a team does not arrive in time for kick off, the game will be considered a walkover and a 28 – 0 winning score will be given to the punctual team
- Red and yellow cards will be distributed by the referees at their won discretion as per the normal rugby rules.
- A player who receives a straight red card, will have a brief hearing with the match referee and rugby manager or Festival Director of the George TENS, to decide if a card is necessary
- A player receiving a red card from two yellow cards will not receive a match ban.
- There will be a zero tolerance for any punctuality, pulling of hair, eye gouging, lifting, stomping on the ground or any behaviours on this level, judged by the referee.
- Strict high tackle rules apply.
NB: All decisions will always be taken in the good spirit of the George TENS.